Huge satisfaction building first PC for home-office, family videos & gaming.
"Black Magic" (chocolates) denote range of established components & "Tardis" (Dr Who) the implausibly small box housing them.
Aim : To build a transportable PC of durable longevity with strong performance and multiple options.
Outcome : Modified in stages, arguably portable (a lead brick), it's a functional joy to use. Delivers ~60FPS at 4K in games & is audibly tolerable. .
Notable Features of Build (unique/value)
- ITX size case (18.5L) optimised for ATX parts, performance, cooling, storage scope, clutterless cabling & disguised as a box..
- Motherboard facilitates all components, enables stable overclocks & has vast features.
- Smartly designed giant Noctua NH-D15S quietly air-cools delidded, overclocked 8700K with minimal footprint, freeing space for additional components.
- 32GB Optane offers durability for boot, Win10 O/S & HDD acceleration at SSD-like speeds.
- Undervolted & overclocked Zotac 1080ti Blower GPU aids cooling and restricts noise in 4K gaming.
- Twin slim 140mm Prolimatech fans assist cool air input and equally large dual Noctua's remove hot air quietly.
- Aesthetically matched attractive RGB peripherals (Patriot Viper V770 keyboard & Logitech G203 mouse).
- 27" AOC AG271UG IPS panel, gives crisp 60Hz 4K gaming with added G-Sync.
- Black cables, Noctua Chromax and EVGA adapter enhance appearance and simplify routing.
- Vertegear Triigger 350 chair/headrest & rockable footboard provides best comfort & posture, extending system use.
Delidded & overclocked (4.8GHz) multi-core 12-thread Coffee-Lake CPU - should last years.
6yr warranty. No fuss air equal to water cooling. Fits in Core 500 & clears RAM. Quiet (25dB) Keeps 8700K 4.8GHz cool (35C rest; 65C max).
Liquid metal TIM for delidded CPU. Having overclocked to 4.8GHz a CPU temp drop of -10C welcome in space-compromised ITX PC set-up.
Thunderbolt 3 (20Gb/s). Solid overclocking. Underboard m.2 sites Optane plus 5 usable SATA ports for mix of HDD's, SSD's and 5.25" Blu-ray.
Decent quality RAM. Advertised as Corsair but ASRock UEFI recognise as 2 x 8GB DDR4 G-Skill. Clock easily to stated 3200MHz.
Fast, quality inexpensive SSD
Fortuitous purchase of large capacity SSD, considered best in the marketplace, at its lowest ever price.
Paired to 32GB Optane caching module for formidable mix of quick boot/access/storage at low cost.
Ideal for 18.5L case. Ejects hot air out of back for low temps (35C rest & 65C max 4K gaming). Noise tolerable (45dB max). Overclock max 2012MHz. Unsurpassed value due to sustained longevity and relevance as a power GPU.
Compact, affordable, holds lots of full-size gear. Filters vac with lid on. Front PSU for big CPU cooler & low temps. Rout "out of box" (pic5) for air space. Inexplicably efficient cooling intrinsic to case design despite diminutive volume.
Silent. 10yr warranty. Overkill power for build upgrading.
Effective and neat but occupies space in ITX build driving temps up 10C. NB: Disc players noisy in sector searches most noticeable during malware scans.
This is the flagship operating system - only wished I'd known that I could have downloaded an authentic copy and saved myself about £150 - nevertheless I've got a bona fide version so it's too late to worry about it too much.
Replaced brown Noctua fan for "all black" look - runs dead quiet.
Replaced noisier 3-pin Fractal fan at rear of case. Gained 4-pin speed control and "all black" aesthetics.
Two top inputs, (one over CPU stack). Splitter cable to 4-pin pwm socket. Quiet yet shift more air than replaced Noctua. CPU rest temp low (35C) at 4.8GHz.
Quality "affordable" 4K, 60Hz, IPS, G-Sync, 27" monitor, partnered to an overclocked Zotac Blower 1080ti GPU for games at 60FPS. No dead pixels.
Bargain price for a quality mechanical keyboard with alluring RGB while bristling with useable features.
Cheap yet perfectly designed for gaming - RGB a bonus.
Decent sound and power for PC speakers.
PC boots quickly. Crisply opens .exe and content files. Low cost storage paired to large HDD. Unexpectedly resilient.
Eliminates risk from de-lidding process.
"All-black" aesthetic enhancement without detriment to CPU's thermals.