• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

JonInWherever 9 days ago

I'm putting together my first build, and just realized that my mother board (ASRock B250 Fatal1ty) doesn't have any wifi capability. I don't need anything special, as I don't plan on online gaming (for now). At present, my house doesn't have an internet connection, so I just need the ability to connect to Wi-Fi hotspots created by my phone for things like Windows updates and game updates/downloads... So, is it better to get a USB adapter, or an internal card, and of those choices any recommendations are welcome. The build is somewhat budget, so I don't really want to drop more than $30ish on the adapter, just to make the suggestions a little more difficult!

Comments Sorted by:

Warlock 1 point 9 days ago
sponix 2 Builds 1 point 9 days ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/G4H323/tp-link-wireless-network-card-tlwdn4800

This is a Solid Wireless Card. It is worth the extra couple of dollars..

GentlemanShark 1 Build 1 point 8 days ago

It doesn't support AC...

Javanode 1 Build 1 point 5 days ago

If his router is not ac then he doesn't need it.

GentlemanShark 1 Build 1 point 5 days ago

Obviously.

WirelessCables 1 Build 1 point 8 days ago

Asus AC68 or Asus AC56

JonInWherever submitter 1 point 8 days ago

These may be a bit more viable than I thought. I've just managed to get $35 in Amazon credit, so now these are $20 out of pocket, and in my budget (and also have red hear sinks to match my build!). Any preferences as to which is better - the AC56, or the EW-7822PIC?

WirelessCables 1 Build 1 point 8 days ago

AC56. These PCIe cards come with a much better antenna, (For example, the AC68 has 3 antennae on a base, and the AC56 has 2) and tend to have a more direct connection, making them faster.

TRClark911 1 Build 1 point 6 days ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/r7RFf7/gigabyte-gc-wb867d-i-rev-42-none-wi-fi-adapter-gc-wb867d-i-rev-42

It's the updated BT 4.2 version and I picked it up from Amazon for $36.99 a few weeks back. Works great and the antenna is magnetic which is a plus... I just stick it to the top of the case.

It matches my black mobo as well.