• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Attune 23 days ago

I was wondering if it's actually worth it to buy an anti virus software, or do free softwares such as the free version of Bitdefender do a good enough job on their own?

Comments Sorted by:

SuperGojira2001 3 Builds 10 points 23 days ago

Free Avast + Free MalwareBytes + common sense. Best combo ever.

Cicero_ 1 Build 1 point 22 days ago

This. Though Avast can be replaced with Avira.

AwesomeBuilderXE1901 3 Builds 1 point 19 days ago

Avast is terrible. Avast installed browsers, random software without my consent, and also blocked my internet with a useless firewall that left me unable to access anything other than Google for 5 hours, leading me to have to boot into safe mode with avastclean.exe to get rid of Avast. NEVER AGAIN.

talby 10 Builds 7 points 19 days ago

Never tried the free trial, good to know - I use avast free also and once you get past the initial install adverts just enable silent/gaming mode, it's like driving with your wife and being deaf in your right ear - or your left ear for EU / AP regions lol

Attune submitter 1 point 19 days ago

it's like driving with your wife and being deaf in your right ear

take my comment karma, +1...

Cicero_ 1 Build 1 point 19 days ago

Idk about that but I certainly prefer Avira to Avast.

Etnzz 1 point 23 days ago

Not much of protection differences i hear, except for paid you get more special features. i like the paid ver of Bitdefender, even has anti ransom ware of some sort and other features. (Which i used the trial of it, but not the New 2017 free ver of Bitdefender.), either way, i think the free version of it will do well. (Iwas using it, but not the 2017 one.) works well. up to the person to buy it i guess.

Etnzz 1 point 23 days ago

did you pair Malwarebytes with ur AV?

Attune submitter 1 point 23 days ago

I literally only use Windows Defender at the minute (I know, roast me)...

I'm planning on getting BitDefender as I've used it for years now with no issues in previous PCs, I'm just wondering is it actually worth it to pay for it this time rather than using the free version...

Etnzz 1 point 22 days ago

I think the free version is fine. make sure you use Malwarebytes with any av tho

Attune submitter 1 point 22 days ago

Is it worth it to get Premium Malwarebytes?

Etnzz 1 point 22 days ago

Personally i like it, it offers real time protection and blocks malicious sites pretty good. it's not needed, i guess it'd depend on how much cash you have or if you really want it. my year ran out so now i am just using it as the free version. gonna save money for a new GPU.

pegotico 2 Builds 1 point 22 days ago

I literally only use Windows Defender at the minute (I know, roast me)...

That and common sense is enough....

Attune submitter 2 points 22 days ago

Might just stick with that then to be honest, don't really want an extra program running in the background 24/7 eating up resource...

[comment deleted by staff]
Xorex64 1 point 23 days ago

No

Short and sweet, any reasoning behind it?

Xorex64 1 point 23 days ago

The protection isn't much better. A good free one paired with common sense goes a long way. Theres also that issue with backups and licenses.

paired with common sense

This is pretty much the reason I haven't even bothered with a proper antivirus in my build yet, I don't download anything sketchy or go onto sites that I don't trust, so I wasn't too worried about getting anything.

I'll just download BitDefender Free when I get home and leave it at that.

Thanks for the information.

AverageGangMember 1 point 23 days ago

Nah. It's really never worth it. I'd only get a paid anti-virus if your older relative is very gullible.

emoticorpse 1 Build 1 point 22 days ago

Its' worth it if you're a business since using free version in certain corporate environments can be violating license agreements and may not be legal.

Desert_Dunes 1 point 22 days ago

while i would have said in the past to get AV software, after all the time iv spent on linux iv realized that AV really isen't all that its cracked up to be, linux doesn't have the same malware problems that windows does, partly because theres not a lot of targets and so not worth the effort, but also because a simple reboot will get rid of just about any infection you somehow manage to get (and you have to try to get one, no drive by infections here)

so if your on windows, just watch where you go and get an adblocker and you should be ok, if your on linux, still be careful because while a windows virus won't do anything to a linux OS it can still be transmitted to a windows OS through an infected file, if thats not a worry then AV is a thing of the past

coolguy562 1 Build 1 point 22 days ago

Although unnecessary I've been using the Norton suite of protection for as long as I can remember, never had any problems. But using free Antivirus and common sense is more than enough, you aren't going to attract viruses like a magnet like some people believe

Attune submitter 1 point 22 days ago

Not to bash you or anything but even if you did have a problem, with Norton you probably wouldn't even know about it...

I remember the amount of times I had Norton/McAfee preinstalled on a PC, first thing I did was uninstall.

coolguy562 1 Build 1 point 22 days ago

Ya, the only reason I have it is cause my parents buy the multi device protection so I just hop on that.

vhfan 1 point 22 days ago

Relatives had all types of malware issues , Kaspersky AV was recommended and no issues in years , tech support is extremely responsive if you have any problems and they have a great support forum also.

What i liked about it is how light it is compared to past versions , one of the lightest on the market which was important to me. I love the vulnerability scanner also .

I have tried all the free stuff and they were just so so , this is trouble free , i never get any false positives and it's protection is superb. I think the Internet security version is overkill myself.

elvenson 4 Builds 1 point 21 days ago

No. Unless your looking for enterprise protection.

FrankV01 2 Builds 1 point 21 days ago

I haven't ran an antivirus in 6 years or something like that. On occasion, if I have reason, I'll use HouseCall..... I suppose windows defender is on my windows 10 machine. I don't turn it off so that is there but that is only because Microsoft now includes it.

AVPX1 1 point 19 days ago

I just use Defender. I also image my OS drive when I first build a PC so I have a pristine image to restore to if needed. Doing this and backing up my data drive has worked well.

Mr.GamerLot 1 point 19 days ago

My experience with Anti-Virus!

Gets a mod!!! Anti-Virus: WHAT IS THIS???? WHY IS IT MESSING WITH FILES!!!!!! DELETE!!!! Runs a game!!!! Anti-Virus: WHO ARE THESE IP'S????? WHY ARE THEY CONNECTING SO FAST!!!!!!! FULL SYSTEM SCAN!!!!!! Tries to delete Anti-Virus!! Anti-Virus: no. just no... you NEED me. you are 100% incapable of making good decisions online so I am here and you pay for me...

Wipes Hard Drive!! Anti-Virus: I'M BACK! Me: )':

don't get Anti-Virus they need to get some chemotherapy.

talby 10 Builds 2 points 19 days ago

which one were you using?!?

Mcafee :3

Cicero_ 1 Build 1 point 10 days ago

Well that's why. McAfee is considered to be the worst AV. Horribly intrusive and hard to get rid of. Many other AV's will be much better, like Avast or Avira.

emoticorpse 1 Build 1 point 19 days ago

So you're saying don't get an anti-virus at all?.

No if your an idiot, yeh get it. but if you have a shred of common sense windows defender will treat you well...

TheShortOne 1 point 15 days ago

If you have good browsing habits then there is really no need for any. Just never go to fishy websites, never open spam mail, and don't click on any ads in web pages you go to. Besides, a lot of antivirus, malware, spyware, etc, are almost guaranteed to slow down your PC by running unneeded apps and automatically installing pointless files.

texasmayne 2 Builds 1 point 12 days ago

Only if you're a business, or a child that likes to download and install everything.

I've had my computers forever, 1 desktop, 3 laptops, never had any viruses. Used a couple of antivirus programs, Windows defender, Avast, Norton, McAffee, etc. But it comes down to being aware of what sites you are going to, what you are downloading, and what gets installed on your computer. I always turn off all of my computers every night, and only turn them on when I need to use them.

*** Side note, I built a computer for my brother's family, 2 days after I give it to them, his son get's a virus on it. His son is 11 yrs old.

TatBoye 1 Build 1 point 11 days ago

Windows Defender + Malwarebytes + Ublock Origin + Common Sense

Pappo46 1 point 10 days ago

My experience has been with Free Avast and I also tried Free AVG. Both have worked well for me. I rarely buy the "Premium / Pro" versions of their products. However, be ready because once you install the free version, you will be constantly reminded about their Premium/Pro versions. I don't find it too annoying. I simply select No when asked. Also recommend free MalwareBytes for malware.

bobBobberson 1 point 2 hours ago

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Don't purchase an anti virus software license unless you really feel the need to have the extra features. I'd recommend sticking with the popular Avast! AV software package (with everything except the bare minimum, the extra features are pure garbage). If you truly want to purchase an AV software for whatever reason, ESET Nod32 is the only actual good one. McAfee is used mainly in enterprises, for unknown reasons, and isn't that great at detection. Norton is the purest of garbage. Everything else not listed has fallen from grace and become Norton 2.0 with additional features and bloatware. AVs should focus on their primary purpose, which is providing up to date definitions and active/passive scanning.

vagabond139 5 Builds 2 points 19 days ago

People pay for norton!?

Pcjulian12343 1 point 16 days ago

*1000 hours of cringe

Astrocyte 3 Builds 2 points 18 days ago

How much did they pay you to say that on here huh???

Pls no downvote was sarcasm